Thursday 13 March 2014

Teachers as cheerleaders

Today was my day for playground duty - 15 minutes of "MISSSSSSSSSSSSS HE PUSHED MEEEEEEE" and "Can you open this for me?". As a result, I always finish duty slightly stickier than when I started (thank god for hand san!).


Looking around our playground today, as well as talking to my own munchkins, I realised how important the continuity and predictability of school is for these kids. We forget these kids are between 5 and 12 years old, lack the world experience and understanding of the nuances of social mores to help them function - which is why a pen can start a punch up. These kids, often dealing with situations that require maturity beyond their years, need us to be their stable point, the voice of reason, the one thing that doesn't change. These kids need teachers that support them unequivocally, and care for them as if they are their own. 


We forget these kids not only need us to guide them, but actually want to learn.


These kids need a cheerleader.

If you haven't already seen Rita Pierson's TED Talk, here it is. If you have, watch it again and revel in her charisma and ability to capture an audience.





Unfortunately, Pierson is no longer with us, she passed away late last year. But her message is one that is something we should be considering when staring down at the 30 munchkins that are annoying the crap out of you. Those kids, no matter how hyperactive, defiant, rude, immature or just chatty, need us to build their self esteem and help mould and shape the amazing potential that exists inside them.


As Pierson says, the tough ones are the ones that are there EVERY DAMN DAY. But they're also the ones that need us the most.


I have Pierson's saying that she gave to her kids on my classroom door so that my kids see it every time they enter or exit the classroom. 


"I am somebody. I was somebody when I came. I'll be a better somebody when I leave. I am powerful, and I am strong. I deserve the education that I get here. I have things to do, people to impress, and places to go."


It's also a reminder for me - in those moments where I feel I'm struggling or ready to give up, I remember that for these kids, I'm making a difference. Everyday, these munchkins take a step closer to being a part of the big, bad world - and they need to know that they do have places to go, that they are important and every time they leave my classroom, they are a better person for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment